Poor Man's Cookies
2¼ cups water
1½ cups raisins
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoons baking powder
1½ cups sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cloves
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a 9×13 baking pan.
2. Combine water, raisins, and butter in a medium saucepan. Boil over medium-high heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, remove the lid, and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. While the raisin mixture is boiling, combine the dry ingredients (through cloves) in a large bowl, whisking until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour the slightly cooled raisin mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until mostly combined and moistened (the batter at this point will have the consistency of a paste). Add the beaten eggs and again stir with a spoon, until thoroughly combined.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until deeply browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
6 Cool to room temperature and cut into squares and before serving. If not serving immediately, cover with plastic wrap to keep the cookies moist. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.